Monday, June 10, 2013

Comet Cafe




Happy Monday!
Comet Café is nestled at 1947 N Farwell Ave in Milwaukee! It’s a small place that houses some of the friendliest and happiest Milwaukeeans (right behind UWM Housing)! It’s best to go early because it fills up quickly and with Comet’s slow food motto tables tend to be occupied for an extended amount of time. If you are waiting to be seated, mosey over to the display case filled with cupcakes and pies from a local shop called Honeypie. These will not disappoint, as each dessert is made completely from scratch daily with vegan options. I would suggest asking an employee to box up your dessert prior to being seated at a table, as these tend to sell out quickly on a busy night!
            After pondering my own cupcake choice, I chose a malted milk ball cupcake (it was phenomenal). I was seated and without even opening my menu I asked the waitress Comet’s special. She suggested the meatloaf with beer gravy or the AJ’s compact turkey dinner. AJ’s compact turkey dinner is turkey, stuffing, and cheesy mashed potatoes rolled into a ball. It is then beer battered, fried and served with country gravy and the vegetable of the day. They had me at fried! I wasn’t really sure what to expect but the great part about Comet Café is your food is made from scratch and Comet uses as much locally own products and ingredients as possible. Due to your food being made from scratch, it made the amount of time waiting on food longer than a typical restaurant but it was well worth the wait.
My AJ’s compact turkey dinner was AMAZING! It was a perfect home cooked meal that reminded me of Thanksgiving at home. Moving away to school, I craved my mom’s homemade meals and Comet Café was the next best thing. This has become one of my favorite restaurants in Milwaukee and one of my favorite meals. When you all come to Milwaukee, if you are ever looking for a local, unique restaurant I highly recommend Comet Café!! Comet Café was also featured on The Food Network in the show Diners, Drive-In, and Dives! Overall, I left Comet Café with a very full, happy stomach and can’t wait to go back again!

 

Until next time,
Haley Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment